On 05/02/07 08:08, Andreas Schildbach wrote:

> Maybe I should not have made such a broad statement. You are right, the
> feature will help many non-skilled people. On the other hand, there are
> many environments (like companies) that simply don't want their users to
> install packages (or plugins, for that matter). In the end, the
> companies are responsible for the software that is installed on their
> computers, and certain packages are not installed in Ubuntu for good.
>
> Take the MP3 gstreamer package(s) for example, they are not contained in
> main because of possible patent problems. If a user installs it on a
> company's machine, that company might get sued by the patent holder. Or
> the user might install an unstable package (one of the ugly ones) and
> then have problems and calls the companies helpdesk without knowing that
> its the unstable package causing the problems.

I would suggest that in the scenario that you put forward the corporate
desktop user would not have permission to install anything, so this
would not be a concern.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via ADSL (Kalgoorlie, WA)...
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]