On 12/09/07 04:39, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> I want to raise something here...
>
> One of the things that made me take some distance from daily ubuntu
> development was a raid of newer people which closes the bugs for
> whatever reason. If the bug is not good enough for them, they close.
> This is more or less an example:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/43354
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/43354>
>

> yes, the guy did not provide the information required. Does this mean
> that the bug vanished magically? No. In fact, the prism54 status is
> REGRESSION from feisty to gutsy. But why would I bother to post a bug,
> just to be closed for any reason? (This is only an example. There are
> several others)
Alexandre,

It is good that you raise this issue in my opinion. I too have seen this
kind of behaviour and wondered what to do about it. I wondered if adding
a comment to the bug would help, but found no particularly transparent
or productive way to engage the person closing the bug.

I'm almost wondering if it's happening because you get karma from
closing a bug.

>From my perspective, closing a bug like this adds to the workload
because now there needs to be effort in combining and locating duplicate
bugs, some of which have been closed like this. It makes the overall
bug-list smaller, but it does in my opinion not create a better signal
to noise ratio. I have seen cases where the combined mass of partial
information was enough to locate the source of a bug.

A better approach in my opinion would be to mark the bug as "needs info"
and leave it alone.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]