Chris,

You are right, but the problem is actually at the core of the DEB/APT
system.  It will not get fixed any time soon.  And for the record, RPM
is not any better, it suffers from the same problem.

The core of the issue stems from the fact that software exists in a
n-dimension matrix.  This matrix is being modeled by a flat file
structure.  This can not be done fully.  Now add the untold number of
changes done by the developers to make our users desktops more useful.
That model keeps changing, and the flat files are trying to keep up.
This is not easy, and one little mistake can show up in a multitude of
different ways.  Toss in the problems caused by third party repositories
(and any solution that is incompatible with third party repositories is
100% broke in my opinion) and the problem becomes unmanageable.  The
real answer would be a object oriented model, but that would break the
DEB/APT system, and cause ciaos on an untold number of fronts.

The easiest way around the problem is a fresh install.  The problem is
Debian (and thus Ubuntu) does not make this easy.  I feel that stealing
the reinstall procedures from Fedora could resolve this problem without
resorting to overhauling the APT system.  That is why I am seeking to
contribute in this way.

Kevin Fries