Try with the following in your ~/.bashrc:

   shopt -u progcomp

That turns off Programmable Completion (see the section in bash man
page for more) and leaves you (well, it leaves me) with the "normal"
file-based tab-completion.

Actually, I'm a fan of programmable completion, but I don't like most
of the rules that are added by /etc/bash_completion. I think they
are, as you've found, confusing and too prescriptive. I just have a
few rules which are set in my ~/.bashrc. If you want to go that
route, then use instead:

   complete -r

That will clear the list of completions before you add your own.

Gavin.