On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 02:15:07PM +0100, Fergal Daly wrote:
> On 12/10/2007, Forest Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > I also find this annoying, why not provide an env var or switch somewhere
> > >
> > > COMPLETE_ON_EXTENSION
> > >
> > > that is checked by
> > >
> > > /etc/bash_completion
> > >
> > > before turning on any of the "annoying" features,
> >
> > Enough with the madness.  You are free to edit configuration files (files in
> > /etc), and your changes will not be mindlessly overwritten on upgrades.
> > Your
> > preference for disabling fancy tab completion is addressed by changing your
> > system-wide config.  Please do so.
>
> So anyone who disliked anything in the system bashrc 10 years should
> have skipped all updates since?
>
> Why do I have to opt out of bug future fixes and improvements just
> because somebody else prefers their way of tab-completion?

You don't have to skip the upgrades.  You should install them.

Your configuration file will not be updated automatically, but it is not that
hard to diff the old & new configs and pull in the new changes yourself.  As an
advanced user wanting a non-standard config, you should be comfortable with
this.

If you also feel that the default PDF tab completion could be better, file a
bug.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond