Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> I switched from IE to Firefox for three reasons:
>> 1.  Tabs rock
>> 2.  Open source rocks
>> 3.  Not suddenly finding myself 5 pages back in my history rocks.

Maybe you mean that you "switched from Windows to Linux for.." because
Firefox on Windows has always used BACKSPACE==BACK. Also, I agree that
reversability is very important in GUIs (being smart about "confirms"
and providing good undo where it makes sense).

I would like to point out that changing the default behavior of the
backspace key is very easy for a developer. For instance, here is what
they did when they disabled the BACKSPACE button altogether:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=246984

It's even possible to change the behavior at runtime by entering into
the "about:config" page and then setting:

        browser.backspace_action=0

The main reason why I take this up on this mailing list is because I
suspect that the vast *majority* of people that install ubuntu today
expect the backspace key in firefox to trigger a back and not a page up
(which is the case for gutsy gibbon). And so, I think it's fair to get
BACKSPACE=BACK as the default in Ubuntu and then let the
BACKSPACE=PAGEUP people use the about:config workaround. I suppose this
has a lot to do with who is the intended audience for Ubuntu systems. Is
Ubuntu trying to become a leading desktop OS (fixing bug #1) or is
ubuntu "a desktop for unix people"?

If Ubuntu is the latter? Maybe CTRL-V should be PAGE DOWN instead of
PASTE? I mean *a lot* of Unix old timers use CRTL-Y/CTRL-V for paging
up/down.

This issue has been extensively discussed upstream in the mozilla bug
tracker (with many people on both sides) but they have resolved the bug
and they went with the "firefox should be unix-style on unix-style
systems" approach. Since I disagree with this solution, I'm hoping that
at least the Ubuntu package could be shipped with BACKSPACE==BACK.

                Martin