On 07/11/07 07:14, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Caroline Ford wrote:
>
>> Some ISPs block bittorrent of course. Vodafone UK is one of them. I had
>> great problems downloading openoffice.org for windows as they *only* use
>> bittorrent as a distribution mechanism.
>>

> You should browbeat such an ISP, not cave in to their draconian will.
> Vigorously complain and if they do not stop, take your business
> elsewhere.  Giving in and using http instead just encourages them to
> continue to think that they can screw you over any way they want.

While I understand what caused you to write this paragraph, perhaps you
might consider a scenario where bittorrent is completely inappropriate.
I am connected to the Internet via a 2-way vSat connection. This is an
asymmetric connection, in my case 1024kBit/256kBit. If I were to use
bittorrent to "download" something, my satellite uplink would quickly
swamp my downlink at any share-rate, making the transfer absolutely
horrendous.

Bittorrent may well be useful in some environments, but not in all, nor
is every ISP who restricts you trying to screw you over any way they want.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]