On Wednesday 05 December 2007 20:59, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 8:28 AM, Christofer C. Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 2007 3:10 PM, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I agree that :

> > > but still this is a Comunity project, or is it not?
> > > If what users and comunity desire is not the important for the
> >
> > "project", then what is?
> >
> > I think allowing the developers of the distribution, those who have a
> > real stake in the success of the software in its entirety, to decide
> > where to focus their efforts is superior to allowing the mob to decide
> > what's important.  I also think that using straw-man arguments to make
> > your point is a mistake.
>
> I disagree.
>
> There needs to be some compromise between the developers and the mob,
> presuming that the mob consists of end-users. The end-user decides how much
> of a success the software is in its entirety. The developers need to keep
> that in mind at all times.

For those of us who are volunteers (most of us), the compromise is someone has
to convince me it's worth my time to bother.  So I'd say the other way
around.  The users who want volunteers to actually do free work for them need
to be convincing why I should be bothered (hint: threatening to switch back
to Windows doesn't motivate me at all).

I think this is useful reading for those trying to get developers interested
in their problem:

Scott K