On 3/20/08, Jonathan Jesse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> Good morning,
>
> How would you suggest doing this instead?  I am one of those that is combing
> launchpad for bugs that have not been reported or updated for a long time.
> I try to reproduce the bugs on my own system or vm which I try to run the
> development branch. If I am unable to reproduce it myself, I always ask the
> user to try and reproduce it as well.
> So how would you suggest dealing with those bugs instead of asking the end
> user to deal with it?
>
> Jonathan

They've already produced the bug if they've reported it. It is
obviously important to ask if it is reproducible every time but the
more critical information is determining _how_ to reproduce it. If you
can't reproduce it on the version they're using, then obviously you
can't assume it is fixed on the development release because you can't
reproduce it there. Although, I imagine it would be safe to close the
bug or ask for them to try and reproduce it if the version of Ubuntu
that the bug occurred on is no longer supported and you can't
reproduce the bug in a version that is supported. So, although you
test, I don't think a lot of people do.

Goals are important here. I don't think the goal should be to close as
many bugs as possible. I believe the goal is to have as many bugs
triaged _correctly_ so that they can be dealt with effectively.

Thanks,

Cody