2008/3/31, Sebastien Bacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>  using it. We used to do changes to not have it on the default
>  installation but the system menus have lot of items and the category is
>  quickly unmasked when installing something using it anyway

Having it not used in the default installation would be preferred. For
the large majority of users there are not going to be any applications
in that category ([add some popcon statistics here]). Having it in the
default installation decreases the feeling of user-friendliness /
polish of Ubuntu.

>  Why do you think it's an issue?

Generally it's very user-non-friendly to have "system this" and
"system that" everywhere. People aren't interested in the system
(actually, they are more usually scared about anything related to the
system), but productive/fun applications. Ubuntu has a System menu
already, and without the System Tools menu the Applications is rather
clean of any user-confusing system-level stuff.

Especially at this point of release schedule, adding a menu in the
default installation for one/two items is against common/usability
sense since it increases clutter in the Applications menu by adding
17% more submenus... hardware testing is clearly in a wrong place
anyway IMO since it's a system administrator program.

I would have raised my voice about this issue already before, but I
thought the current behavior of having hwtest and system monitor there
is a bug that is soon fixed.

> Do you find confusing to have the category unmasked
>  and containing only one item if you install vmware for example?

No, I don't mind that, since when installing such software I probably
already belong the small minority of computer users who know something
about the system.

-Timo