Le lundi 28 avril 2008 à 12:25 -0400, Cory K. a écrit :
> Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> > I've been through both bugs and to me, as an occasional jack user, it
> > seems that the best would be that jackd defaults to the pulseaudio
> > output. Users that have better hardware and do more advanced stuff are
> > able to tweak what they need.
> >

> This could be done if JACK were in main. Then the needed module could be
> built.
What module and why does it need to be in main?

> But it should *not* be the default behavior because it introduces a
> added layer of latency that also impacts the user experience in a
> negative way. ie: performance.
My point was: is performance really an issue for base users that don't
know how to configure jackd anyway? If we leave it not working
out-of-the-box at all, this is worse for everybody than getting bad
performances.

If you don't need a high-quality sound in perfect realtime and don't use
many tracks/instruments/sources at the same time, the problem may not
appear at all. And if so, you are likely to accept tweaking things a
little further (using a GUI?).

> It is trickier than it seems. There is no "best" solution for everyone.
> This (to me) is simply one of those situations where the user has to
> figure out what they are doing.
I think Ubuntu's philosophy is "make it work anyway for every standard
user needs". That may not be possible in the state of the software but
if there's a way to reduce the unexpected issues, it should be chosen.
Further configuration should always be leaved to more special cases.

> PulseAudio or JACK should be used separately by default IMO. I'm not
> saying don't make the tools available, but making JACK work through
> PulseAudio by default is bad.
Think of somebody that uses Rosegarden/Ardour/etc. once in a month and
uses its computer for everyday work: he needs PulseAudio because running
JACK all the time would be a waste. This case should be handled.

I know Ubuntu Studio aims at a professional system, not at a basic usage
suiting set of applications. But since it is also Ubuntu, I guess it
should find a compromise.

> I'll consult upstream to see what their opinion is.
Good - they have too find a solution for this kind of case too.

And thanks for your work!