Hi,

I've noticed that Ubuntu's boot speed seems to have taken a fall in
Hardy. Anecdotally I believe that Gutsy was the fastest but from a
viewable stats perspective the fall can be seen in Feisty versus Hardy
on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootCharting#head-dca0372aa8fd490a9717ad0c72c9b400c236a581
 . While not as slow as other distros it is a shame to see things slow down a
bit.

Of special interest to me is the fall in "time to usable auto-login
desktop" case as this is something I use regularly. It seems that modern
Ubuntu simply has more to do/start after a user logs in...

Before I forget back in the Gutsy days I ran various timing tests to see
what would help boot speed. I think I found that doing a profile boot
helped the most (although you may never get back the time it took to do
the profile boot :) followed by disabling appropriate modules
in /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common (if you use restricted
drivers) and finally a very slight improvement by not starting services
for things you don't have (e.g. this machine doesn't have bluetooth) but
one must take care when doing this. The difference between disabling
services using /etc/default/ and update-rc.d remove seemed very small. I
had more benefit tuning readahead to read files that were used during
user log in too.

Shutdown speed also seems to have fallen in Hardy with gdm often hanging
for 30 seconds when it stopped and the first stage of the shutdown
animation is often not displayed.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/