On Thursday 15 May 2008 21:31, Evan wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Scott Kitterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > I'd say that if there's a bug it's in Windows.  I could see a wishlist
> > bug against Ubuntu to provide a way to check for this/suggest changes to
> > avoid problematic filenames, but there is nothing inherently defective
> > with the current behavior.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> I agree that there is no inherent problem with the Ubuntu code, and it
> should really be up to Windows to support more characters. However I can
> think of several situations where this could cause considerable problems
> for the end user. We should at the very least provide a warning that
> "Naming a file on this partition with any of the following characters will
> prevent Windows from opening it. Are you sure you want to continue?"
>
> Evan

Personally I'm against such hand holding.  If any such feature is provided, I
think it should be off by default.

I happen to have some legacy FAT32 and NTFS partitions for various reasons,
but the odds that they will ever be read from Windows are very low.  I don't
think Ubuntu's design should be predicated on the idea that it's an adjunct
to using Windows.

Scott K