Conrad Knauer wrote:
> I was reading /. and they have an article up about "QGtkStyle"
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/15/1319204
>
> "A new project called QGtkStyle by Trolltech Labs gives Qt4 based
> applications the possibility to integrate natively into Gtk based
> desktops like Gnome or Xfce. Instead of simply imitating Gtk styles
> QGtkStyle uses the Gtk theme engine directly. The project is still
> considered experimental, but is another step into better integration
> between Qt and Gtk applications."
>
> And it reminded me of something that I had been thinking about in the
> past; Ubuntu is GNOME-based, but does not always default to GNOME's
> app selections (e.g. Firefox, GIMP and OpenOffice.org as I recall).
> Wouldn't it be interesting to take that a step further and have Ubuntu
> represent the best Linux apps (e.g. K3B?), regardless of widget
> dependency?  If QGtkStyle (or such) could seamlessly integrate them
> visually, I don't see why (beyond LiveCD size restrictions) that this
> wouldn't be a good idea...
>
> Anyway, just thought I'd mention the idea to see what people think.
>
> CK
In my opinion Gnome has to change the HIG first. Although I really like
the way affirmative actions are described with a verb instead of just
"OK" it was not a good move to place the affirmative action on the right
side of a dialog. I think this is a real usability issue when non-gnome
apps are used where the OK button is on the left. It's particularly bad
with applications like Eclipse where some dialogs use OK on the left
side and other dialogs use Gnome standard dialogs where the OK
equivalent action is on the right. There is no good reason for the
affirmative action being the rightmost button which could not be
reverted (different cultures, right/left handed people ...). Before that
has been fixed, I prefer to not use KDE applications in a Gnome
environment.

Kai Schroeder