On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:03:02 +0100 "Alan Milnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On 16/05/2008, Markus Hitter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  Prohibiting feature X here because it's forbidden there isn't a good
idea.

>It is in this case because of Ubuntu's target population and the fact
>the NTFS / FAT32 are not native Linux file formats. By all means allow
>advanced users to turn this feature off but by default you should not
>be allowed to create files which cause such a problem.

While NTFS is closely associated with Windows, FAT is a defacto standard
for portable storage devices.  Making and kind of O/S assumptions about FAT
is inherently incorrect.  For NTFS, I can almost see sense in this and
wouldn't be opposed if there were some NTFS spec or standard to base such a
design on.  I gather from another post in this thread that such a document
does not really exist.

I feel that you are saying that because I don't also use Windows, I'm not
in Ubuntu's target population.  I think this is completely wrong.  I think
fixing Bug 1 is about getting people to stop using Windows, not about using
Windows and Ubuntu.

I see value in easing transition for new users, but our target is an Ubuntu
user, not an Ubuntu/Windows user.

Scott K