HggdH wrote:
We also discussed what the solution should be. ScottK is going
to mail the ubuntu-devel-discuss with the proposal that we came
up with. If that is accepted then the changes will be announced
here.

I am not quite sure I understand. So the proposal will be discussed by
developers without input from triagers? Frankly, I do not agree.

Since I think this will start another heavy discussion, I am also
copying ubuntu-devel-discuss here. But, certainly, alienating bug-squad
is not right.

..hggdh..

Whoever said that the bug triagers could not contribute to -devel-discuss? For that matter, whoever said that they do not do so already?

But, again, i'd point out what Reinhart has eloquently said:

> I'm sorry, but I may have misunderstood something. I thought the point
> of the bugsquad team was to make the live of developers easier and not
> more complicated.
>
> Clearly these bugs cause misunderstanding on the bugsquad team. I
> therefore thing these type of bugs need to be discussed with the
> developers who have to work with them (which basically means all
> developers). Since you cannot expect all developers to read this mailing
> list, I'd suggest starting that discussion on ubuntu-devel.

There seems to be an attitude of "screw the developers, we are the mighty bug squad, and can do what we like" here.

But really, isn't the job of the bug squad to get bugs into a good state of triage, so they can be dealt with by the developers? Does it not make sense, therefore, to listen to what the developers want the bug squad to do to the bugs, in a general sense, and then for the bug squad to go away and deal with the specifics?

I don't think the bug squad should have the right to say "we will make the rules, everyone else must follow them", as, while there are many bug squad people (yes, developers are still bug squad too), the bug squad does not put real bugs (ie, not invalid, etc) in a final state, so someone always has to come after them, and touch the bugs afterwards. This is not the case for developers.

For those who are interested in getting the bugs into a final, finished state, in the bug squad, you may want to look at becoming developers yourselves.

Just my AUD $0.02, from another fellow member of the bug squad and developer

Hobbsee