> you miss the point a bit here, even in that case the logo would be oval
> instead of being a cycle, it's about the stretching that happens ....

Why would it be an oval?

a 300x200 logo

on a 800x600 monitor, an 800x600 black background is generated, and
the 300x200 logo overlaid on it (placed accordingly for our startup
progress stuff to appear).

on a 1280x800 monitor, a 1280x800 black background is generated, and
the 300x200 logo overlaid on it.

The point is for the logo to stay the same pixel size, regardless of
resolution, or at least only grow at the correct ratio; if the ratio
of the monitor is different than the ratio of the logo, use a black
background to compensate.