On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 21:58 +0100, Nicolas Deschildre wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 20:36 +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> >> Take the intel 3945 card, for example.  Vincenzo says it doesn't work
> >> for him, under various modes.  Various users on the forums have also
> >> mentioned that their systems don't work with these cards.
> >>
> >> However, other users on the forums, mailing lists, and a whole lot of
> >> the developers, including myself, have this card, and see that it works
> >> for them.  I personally haven't seen this break since I upgraded to
> >> gutsy back at the UDS in Sevilla, 2007 (ie, pre-alpha 1), and I use WPA,
> >> which seems to be one of the areas of complaint, otherwise without
> >> problems.
> >
> > In my experience, it does work fine with WPA.  It's WEP that's the
> > issue.  It only works with WEP (properly) using iwconfig.  If you use
> > NetworkManager, the key will *never* be accepted.  And if you use
> > network-admin (gone in Intrepid), the key will be accepted, but it won't
> > get an IP address.
>
> And yet, my intel 3945 works fine with me with WEP & NetworkManager
> both in Hardy and Intrepid. Don't forget there are multiple
> "sub-models" of a given model.
> Please report your detailled hardware information (lspci -vvnn) on
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/253697 (Intel
> 3945 Wireless in Hardy cannot negotiate WEP or WPA Keys) or/and
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/223174 (Intel
> WLAN, 3945 (a/b/g) - low performance).

Ah, looking again, I'm subscribed to the first, but it's not what I'm
describing.  That one is that both WEP and WPA fail.  In my case, it
just fails with NetworkManager with WEP. WPA is fine.  There's a bug
sitting around for that too, though.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22/+bug/139080

It's filed in Feisty and Gutsy, but it still exists with Hardy and
iwl3945.  With that laptop, WEP went like this:
Dapper + ipw3945 + network-admin = works
Feisty, Gutsy + ipw3945 + NM = fail...WEP key not accepted
Hardy + iwl3945 + NM = fail...WEP key not accepted
Hardy + iwl3945 + network-admin = fail...WEP key accepted, no ip address
Hardy + iwl3945 + iwconfig + dhclient = works

I haven't bothered trying to use the GUI with my iwl4965 and WEP.  I
just expect NM to not work when it comes to WEP.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo