Am 22.01.2009 um 12:19 schrieb Andrew Sayers:

> Ubuntu developers tend to complain about the ratio of signal to
> noise on
> this list - that is, the percentage of posts that take up their time
> without helping them to improve Ubuntu.

Hmm. Is this possibly a indirect argumentation? Developers are
developers because they want to improve Ubuntu. Improvements in form
of new features, better design, added functionality, simplified use
of Ubuntu.

On the other hand, users are typically pointing to what developers
don't want to hear: Bugs, mistakes, incompatibilities, differing
opinions and more bugs. Currently, Ubuntu's quality in this regard
isn't exactly shining compared to the main competitors Windows XP and
Mac OS X, so users might have a tendency to be head more loudly.

IMHO, there's a natural barrier between users and developers and the
best way to improve relations here is to try to get users involved in
a more productive way. Apport has made great improvements recently
and I'm sure there can be found more ways to benefit from occasional
developers and hobbyist coders.

In return, user's complaints will calm down, have less substance and
likely won't be felt that nagging.

I'm aware this opinion could be received as being slightly
aggressive, please bear with me.

> The current draft of the survey is at
> http://pileofstuff.org/ubuntu-survey/ and will go live this time
> tomorrow - there's still time to make changes if you have ideas.

You ask how likely it is for the participant to post to the -devel
list. Isn't the -devel list closed to non-developers, making it not a
choice for most people?

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/