On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Thomas Jaeger <thjae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that this is possible, but the question is how common this
> situation is.

Apparently it's pretty common, as some people use C-A-B every week. I
don't use it quite that much, but I don't want it to go away. You
don't remove a fail-safe until you solve the problem that the
fail-safe works around, if that is even possible.

> If an application is hogging resources, you'll want to kill that
> application, not X.

That's true, but how are you going to tell your computer to kill one
specific program if it will take you more time to specify it than to
just hit the (also unnecessary?) reset button on your pc and wait for
a reboot. It could take hours of hitting keys and waiting for the
screen to be updated.

> Okay, now we're getting closer.  There's no reason you can't make wine
> handle those situations more gracefully.  But really, if you're doing
> highly experimental things like running windows games in wine, it's not
> unreasonable to expect that you do the tiny amount of extra of work if
> you want enable C-A-B.

Experimental or not, according to popcon about half of the Ubuntu
users runs Wine. And how is Wine going to protect against system
overload if Linux can't do it either? Technically nothing is wrong...
it's just a *little* slow.

Other example: running whatever OS, doing *something* in an emulator
such as Qemu or Vbox. Suddenly you're out of RAM, out of swap space,
your disk IO is through the roof, and your CPU is constantly 100%.

There are so many ways to bring down the performance of your computer
that you just can't prevent it.

Remco