On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:16:02 -0500
Mike Jones <eternal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > <snip>    No.  What surprises me is when people are fine with those
> > bugs
> as
> > long
> > as there is a quick way to kill the X server that is enabled by
> > default. </snip>
> >
> >      People do file bugs. Perhaps not everyone, and perhaps not
> > every
> time.
> Well, then it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a few bug
> reports to give others an idea of what's going on here.
>

> You are right, it is not difficult to come up with a few bug reports.
> What would you suggest I do to continue with my business in the case
> X needs to be restarted without forcing my to shut down my system
> while the bug report is being triaged?
> If a bug happens once, it is possible for it to happen again (else,
> how is debugging possible?), what if this same bug happens to be a
> second time? I am still waiting for the bug to be debugged, yet have
> no quick way to get back to work in the mean time.
> It is unreasonable to expect even users who have programing
> experience to use the terminal for honestly much more than occasional
> scripts. I have absolutely no desire to C-A-F#, find the program that
> is giving me fits, and then kill it in the hopes it fixes my issue.
>

> >     I'm one of those users who would prefer that the C-A-B command
> > be left as it is, or be modified to allow the ability through some
> > other
> interface:
> > such as twice successive.
> >
> >     I have filed several bug reports about issues related to
> > problems with X, https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/289898 for example.
> This is a kernel bug.  I would be very surprised if C-A-B worked here.
>

> C-A-B does not work in that instance, you are correct. But since you
> seem to know so much about it, could you please provide a fix for me?
> I have been unable to figure out anything beyond what I reported
> already. It happens regularly to myself and all members of my
> universities LUG who have the same model laptop as myself. To be
> frank, it is quite annoying, regardless of C-A-B or not. However,
> while that was a poor example, it is the first one I thought of. I
> can create several new bug reports for x-crashes or glitches that I
> don't feel confident in reporting just yet do to lack of information
> on my part, if you would like. The bugs I would report happen
> haphazardly enough that I can't predict their cause yet, and I am
> able to deal with these problems (in most cases) by simply
> brute-force hacking the problem away via calling C-A-B to get back to
> what I was doing as quickly as possible. The problem may exist in any
> of the programs that I'm currently using, or may be unrelated to all
> of them and a problem with any of the hardware devices I have. I
> don't know how to reproduce any of the issues with reliability, but I
> would be happy to report the problems for you.

> [...]

Okay, I have been reading this thread from the beginning. It seems like
those making the most noise are the same individuals with the knowledge
and ability to easily add the ability to use C-A-B back. Why should the
thousands who do not need the ability be forced to have it to make it
easier for the few that want it to be able to use it?

Do you not customize your systems? This is just a very quick fix to
re-enable the keypresses for yourselves. The many thousands who could
care less are not even on the mailing list.

--
Charlie Kravetz