are you going to change also nm-connection-editor.png ?
what is the offline icon in KDE?

proposal 1: we have 4 kind of network devices in the system (eth,
wifi, gprs, modem). It's not a good idea to forget the other icons.
So the best proposal for me would be a 'morphing' icon that is before
a cable + red cross (if an ethernet device is available), then the 0
signal wifi + red cross (if a wifi device is available), the the 0
signal gprs + red cross (if a gprs device is available), then a modem
+ red cross (if a modem device is available).

proposal 2:
Type  ---  Icon
folder      folder
file          file
email      mail
trash       trash
network   net?
In fact the meaning of network is that your computer is connected with
other computers creating a logical net.
Simple proposal: one computer in the bottom right, over a net (drawn
with dotted or dashed lines)

[O.T. starts here]

>> the 2 monitors icon was introduced to look like windows I think.
> Yes, and that kinda answers the question why we didn't particularily like it
> ;)

Windows is not bad... it's just different.
Apple is worse (philosophically speaking): closed source + closed
hardware licences only + price really overcharged = devil (for me)