On 07/03/2009 Mat Tomaszewski wrote:

> There was a significant problem with the old icon (2 monitors), it
> was
> *totally* mysterious (what 2 monitors have to do with network
> connection?)

Two monitors represent two connected or disconnected computers
(depending on other factors, e.g. the icon having a red cross on it).

> 2. Having 0 signal = not connected may not be true from technical
> perspective, but it is true from practical perspective. You have no
> signal, therefore you won't be able to browse the web. Click on the
> icon
> to do something about it (check what's going on, connect to a
> different
> network, etc).

Everything these days can be argumented by saying that one should not
take the practical point of view, but this change is extremely wrong, if
you pass me the term. If there is no connection, there is no connection
and I should try to connect. This I can do by looking at available
wireless networks, or by plugging ethernet in.

If there is low signal, I have to improve the signal, e.g. by moving the
laptop.

As usual, what I can say is "do whatever you want with ubuntu, it's
yours". However, I used to think that ubuntu was also mine, so let me
spend a sentence on this. In my opinion, this change makes you think
that you are connected and signal is low, even though you are not
connected. Hence, you may not realise that you *have to* connect. If you
travel a lot (as I do), it happens to have bad connections that
sometimes don't work at all. Having a way to distinguish the two cases
is very important in this case.

Vincenzo