2009/3/23 Marius Gedminas <mar...@pov.lt>:
> Personally, for me the desktop startup is (or feels) I/O-bound, with the
> panel applets showing up one by one with agonizing pauses in between and
> the disk running at full throttle.

Yes, it is. In jaunty, the current warm start (everything in cache,
ie. login, logout and then login again) time is ca. 5 seconds, with
compiz, something that would be actually ok for a login time in
general instead of the current status.

And the I/O problem comes from the hundreds/thousands of small files
that are inefficiently read. The amount of transferred data is not
that much that it would take more than 2-4s to read on modern even
laptop hard drives, if the data would be sequentially available in a
one big chunk.

2009/3/23 Evan <eapa...@gmail.com>:
> My guess is that it's a bug in Compiz, coincidentally introduced in the same
> cycle as compiz-by-default. When I disable desktop effects (running
> intrepid) my login speeds up by a good 15 seconds. Does anybody else notice
> this?

This has been fixed in the newer libcompizconfig in jaunty.

-Timo