On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:51:38PM +0000, Matt Wheeler wrote:
> 2009/3/24 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyri...@gmail.com>:
>> And the I/O problem comes from the hundreds/thousands of small files
>> that are inefficiently read. The amount of transferred data is not
>> that much that it would take more than 2-4s to read on modern even
>> laptop hard drives, if the data would be sequentially available in a
>> one big chunk.
>
> So if gconf used sqlite or something similar rather than
> ~/.gconf/blah/blah/blah/%gconf.xml, that would improve login times a
> lot?

No.  Sqlite likes to fsync().  Ext3 blocks the whole system when you
fsync().  Remember when Firefox 3 first appeared in Ubuntu?

Although, if read-only operations don't fsync(), and if GNOME doesn't
actually update any gconf settings at boot time, maybe boot would be
improved, at the cost of subsequent disk spinups.

I'm wondering why readahead doesn't load all those thousands of small
files needed for desktop startup during boot, before I try to log in.
I'm guessing that it just doesn't know the particular ones that I need -
everyone's GNOME settings are different, applets are different,
wallpapers are different, themes are different.

Marius Gedminas
--
<niemeyer> philiKON: I'm changing ZCML to parse files twice as fast..
<philiKON> niemeyer, weee