Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 March 2009 11:08:11 am Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>> > Indeed, it does give that guidance but it's usually too late to help
>> > (i.e.
>> > after +filebug).

I file many bugs at launchpad, and haven't seen anything suggesting a better
place.  In fact, I keep getting told to file bugs at launchpad...

>> Would you care to mention what the best practice _is_?  The post to which
>> Chris replied is not on my server, the list archive, or google.  The only
>> hint I've ever had that reporting bugs to Launchpad is not the best
>> approach is the short shrift most of them get...
>
> That's because Chris replied to -devel-discuss when the post was on just
> plain
> -devel.  Here's the text:

Thanks.

Chris:  Please if you think it belongs on another list (I agree this belongs
here), quote the whole message you're responding to, or at least give us a
link to the original.

> I've noticed that, even among Ubuntu devleopers, not everyone is applying
> our best practices for reporting bugs.  In particular, reporting bugs
> directly to Launchpad is usually NOT the best approach.  This should only
> be done if there is no better option.
>
> In almost all cases, it is preferable to report the bug using Apport.
> This can be done in one of the following ways:
>
> 1. If the bug is a crash, apport should automatically generate a report
> and
> guide you in filing it.  Copies of the crash reports are stored in
> /var/crash in case you need to refer to them directly.

I think that's happened to me _once_.  iirc, it gave a message that was
about as encouraging as the Windows "May we send a report to Microsoft...".
No doubt most people say "Shut up" and close the window.  It doesn't seem
to happen with KDE apps, though I've regressed to Hardy, so perhaps it will
when I can get back to Intrepid+.

> 2. The "Help" menu in many applications includes an entry "Report a
> problem..." which will invoke Apport manually.

afaik, all KDE apps still report directly to bugs.kde.org if you do that.

> 3. On the command line, you can run "ubuntu-bug <package>" (or "ubuntu-bug
> <PID>") to invoke Apport manually.  Kernel bugs should be reported with
> "ubuntu-bug linux".

That's going to be news to the average user, of which a noticeable number
are _still_ using the old bug tools to file a bug straight
to "ubuntu-users"

--
derek