Hello,

I've been following discussion on new design features and bugs, and just
downloaded Jaunty beta to check things out. It's a great difference from
Hardy, which is what I still use. I didn't  see the face of Intrepid, so
I don't know how much of the difference is actually from Jaunty,  but
maybe this suggestion would ease the impact for both users upgrading and
new users: a small tutorial on the UI.

It could be simple, and similar to the one in PalmOS devices, for those
few of you who've seen or used it. I'm sure there is a video in youtube
showing it, but I can't find it, so I'll try to describe it briefly.

It has static clickable screens, with topics and graphics, like a
presentation. Each "page" describes one feature with simple topic
phrases, and illustrates with pictures with arrows and captions. In
PalmOS it's obviously fullscreen, probably because of screen size.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just informative. I think it could be done
for Ubuntu as simple as HTML shown in yelp, or whatever format yelp
likes better. If time and resources are available (hardly, I know), it
could be done as a small OGG video, similar to the mockups in Mark
Shuttleworth's blog. Maybe both.

IMHO, as in PalmOS, it should be shown in highlights only in the first
login, but still be available afterwards in an appropriate menu.

I hope it's not too late in the cycle for that to go into Jaunty, as I
think it will add a lot of value to the new features. The text could
probably even be copied directly from the Release Notes, if it's ready
yet, so as to minimize the work about it. Thinking about it, the
tutorial could even *be* the Release Notes.

Comments?

regards
FF