Il giorno lun, 06/04/2009 alle 08.00 -0400, Andrew Barbaccia ha scritto:

>         Now that the Updates Available window opens by itself, it may
>         help for
>         it to contain a checkbox for installing future updates by
>         default.
>

> +1.
>
> I would say keep the current update workflow but add a line about
> "click here to automatically update in the future".

Unless you can _guarantee_ that every upgrade will NOT harm the system
and e.g. make it impossible to login, or break Xorg, it is much wiser if
upgrades are done only by the hand of persons who know how to solve a
glitch. This happens to me every now and then, but until now I was
always able to recover the system. In the current situation, and with my
more than 10 years experience in _using_ debian and then ubuntu, I will
call a liar any of you claiming that upgrades are safe :) If you can
guarantee this, contact me, I will signal your name for a Turing award.

Notice that you first have to solve the problem of the dpkg database
breaking, which actually happens and breaks the upgrade system, and of
the system running out of space in /var and /tmp. Which you BET will
happen soon, or later.

My best suggestion if you want e.g. your parents to use ubuntu without
risk when you are miles away from home, is to give them an USER account,
not an ADMINISTRATOR one, so they will not be bothered with upgrades
they don't understand. The USER accounts have been designed with your
parents in mind. The ADMINISTRATOR accounts, they are for You!

OTOH, thanks to the power of the command line that only us unix freaks
understand :) you can install ssh and eventually do upgrades remotely.
But when your mom calls and says "hey the computer is broken" you know
what you did the night before.

Vincenzo