Il giorno lun, 06/04/2009 alle 16.32 +0300, Lars Wirzenius ha scritto:

> As you point out, it is not possible to guarantee that. However, it is
> probably best to point out that not upgrading can also harm things,
> when
> it is about security updates. Thus, it would perhaps be best to enable
> automatic updates by default for -security only.
>
> Security updates tend to be pretty minimal.
>
> As far as testing them happens, I'm sure that can be improved, perhaps
> lot. Especially for some critical parts of the system, it might be
> possible to have automatic testing to verify that things still work
> after an upgrade. For example, testing that Firefox can be launched
> and
> can access web pages.

Perhaps the best solution would be to be able to do rollbacks of
updates, as frequently requested. This should be a very simple text-mode
application integrated in the startup system and should use the latest
kernel known to work. It should just offer you the option of restoring
the system exactly as it was before upgrading.

V.