On 14/04/09 22:40, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Onno Benschop <o...@itmaze.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Today I finally got to the bottom of why apt-get/aptitude update was
>> failing. The owner of an Australian mirror has moved the files to a
>> different server.
>>
>> Apart from updating the sources.list, and updating the bug that supplied the
>> URL to the mirror in the first place, apt-get doesn't appear to be following
>> a 302 redirect.
>>

> Is it really a 302 redirect? Typing
> http://mirror.gamearena.com.au/ubuntu/ in browser it looks like
> meta-refresh based redirect.

When I do an apt-get update the error returned is "302 Found" - going to
the URL in a web-browser was what brought the understanding that there
was something else going on - and I saw the meta redirect there too.

I just did another test, if I visit:
http://mirror.gamearena.com.au/ubuntu/dists/intrepid-security/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz

That redirects with a "302 Found" to:
http://mirror.gamearena.com.au/

Which has the meta redirect on it. Seems that the mirror itself is just
redirecting everything to the same URL, rather than to the new location
as a 302 indicates.

Perhaps a "404 Not Found" would be more appropriate?

>> Is this expected, normal behaviour, or am I seeing something unusual?
>>
>> Is there anything that the mirror operator has neglected to do, or something
>> else?
>>
>> The ISP is Australia's largest, Telstra BigPond:
>>
>> The original mirror (203.46.104.10) was:
>>
>> http://mirror.gamearena.com.au/ubuntu/
>>
>> The new mirror (203.46.104.19) is now:
>>
>> http://mirror.files.bigpond.com/ubuntu/
>>

> The mirror (old or new) is not listed in the official list on page -
> https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
> From where did you come to know about the mirror?

The mirror has been around for a while and references to it are found in
various Australian forums, most notably, whirlpool. I've just posted a
message to the Bigpond and Linux/BSD forums there to advise users that
this mirror has changed.

As for an official status, I had added it to a similar request for a NZ
mirror to be added. I've just updated that to reflect the new location
of the mirror.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-apt/+bug/139768

Thanks for the link to the list of mirrors. I was unaware of the
mechanism of registering an official mirror and today I will contact
Telstra Bigpond and see if I am able to talk to the group responsible
for the mirror to see if they would like to be registered as an
Australian mirror.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Bigpond NextG at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..