Hello all,

I just tried out the Kubuntu 9.04 RC1 LiveCD on my desktop. After a
couple of minutes it starts accessing the hard drives as well as the CD
itself, causing an unresponsive system. This is while the system is idle
otherwise.

At first I thought it was some kind of indexing service. What indexing
service does Kubuntu use? The ones I know, such as tracker and beagle,
where not running. I could see a number of kio_file working non stop.
Tried to kill them one by one, but appeared immediately back on. There
must be a service that invokes them.

Then I noticed something even weirder. The drives were not even mounted!
(?) Is it performing some kind of disk checks? It seems, whatever it was
doing, it was doing it to any storage attached to the system, from the
internal drives, to external usb storage as well as the LiveCD itself
(which is what probably caused the sluggishness)

Any ideas?

Ioannis

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.