Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Friday 17 April 2009 8:40:13 am Ioannis Nousias wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just tried out the Kubuntu 9.04 RC1 LiveCD on my desktop. After a
>> couple of minutes it starts accessing the hard drives as well as the CD
>> itself, causing an unresponsive system. This is while the system is idle
>> otherwise.
>>
>> At first I thought it was some kind of indexing service. What indexing
>> service does Kubuntu use? The ones I know, such as tracker and beagle,
>> where not running. I could see a number of kio_file working non stop.
>> Tried to kill them one by one, but appeared immediately back on. There
>> must be a service that invokes them.
>>
>> Then I noticed something even weirder. The drives were not even mounted!
>> (?) Is it performing some kind of disk checks? It seems, whatever it was
>> doing, it was doing it to any storage attached to the system, from the
>> internal drives, to external usb storage as well as the LiveCD itself
>> (which is what probably caused the sluggishness)
>>

> How much RAM do you have?  Does the hard drive already have a swap partition
> on it?  If so, it's probably swapping.

yep, you are right, that's what happened. The livecd mounted the swap
partitions of all my drives.

I just realised what happened. I started a copy between two external
hard drives, using dolphin. The copy involved several tens of GB, mostly
small text files. The process was in the preparation phase, so actual
copying had not commenced yet, when suddenly I've noticed the activity
on my internal drives (which were not mounted). I stopped the copy
process, but the activity continued, until the system became totally
unresponsive and had to reboot.

I'm guessing dolphin chokes when trying to transfer lots of small files.
Starts using lots of ram.

I'm now using good-old-fashion 'cp' and all is good.

sorry for the false alarm :)

Ioannis

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.