On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:22:49 +1000
William Grant <wgr...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 05:08 +0100, richard wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:04:10 -0300
> > Derek Broughton <de...@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> > > Why do you think that it's OK to use Debian (sid, no less) sources
> > > with Ubuntu?  And then, why would you think we could fix it.
> > > Debian & Ubuntu are _largely_ compatible, but if mixing them
> > > breaks things, I'm afraid you're on your own.
> >

> > I think there are some developers that need to install language
> > packs in their brains.
>
> You are required to obey the CoC here. I somehow doubt that is
> acceptable.
>
> > ONCE MORE FOR THOSE THAT CANT READ
> >
> > I DID NOT ADD DEBIAN SID TO THE APT LISTS, IT OCCURRED AFTER AN
> > UPDATE
>
> apt doesn't divine your sources - they are specified somewhere.
>
> Open a clean terminal. Run 'apt-get update'. Give us the output.
> Preferably give us sources.list and the contents of sources.list.d.
>
> You mentioned that the architecture had magically changed - that's
> impossible. You also wouldn't see the architecture in the place that
> you mentioned.
>
> I am very confused. I can see why others thought as they did. Are you
> sure you weren't SSHed into another machine?

Hi

Hopefully all the evidence , and problem has been destroyed by the
completely fresh install last night.

AT least if the mirrors are sync'd off of ubuntu.com there's not much
chance of it propagating. Unlike some distros, Mandriva for instance
where there are several primary mirrors and everything sync'd off them.

The only files loaded apart from the update were
g95 64bit deb from g95.org

The trunk and branches of wsjt on berlios.de

and virtualbox2.2 off the vbox site. and loaded ubuntu8.10 i386.
That was to help a newbie build xlog-2.0

I use a lot of the fortran & python libs, but they have been on this
machine for a while and stable

The mirror I used was ubuntu.virginmedia.com, only because I can get
10MB download.

If I opened "software sources" and looked at the 3rd party section,
all the sources had been replaced by ubuntu i386 sources, the normal
ones had all gone. There were about 10 or more had been added.
I manually checked every file in /ect/apt looking for the debian
entries and could find nothing.

I cant be more careful when downloading especially updates as the
amount of dependencies on a few packages usually mean large
quantities of downloads.

The only other place it may have come from may have been a trojan on
the wsjt trunk and branches from berlios.de.
But thats very unlikely as that is used by developers using various
distros.
Putting it there would only effect debian and ubuntu users.

Its more likely to have been in that last update.
100 files + a few days before release is not logical. Four days before
and it should only be minor updates.

If you really want to get paranoid you could also consider that someone
maybe deliberately trying to nobble 9.04 on release.

Some may consider I breached the code of conduct on the list, maybe so,
but it works both ways.

I should at least be granted the curiosity of have what I wrote read
and not being accused of adding the sources myself.
And it wasn't by just one person either.

I would suggest that someone checks the repositories , especially the
UK ones.

I was'nt SSH'd into another machine, I've dropped down to just one here
and at work the boss is frightened of linux, so the nothing there.

--
Best wishes

Richard Bown