That "grab a friend" experiment is one of those posts where my inner
science geek betrays me.  I chose "kilo" and "mega" instead of "mega"
and "giga" so that I would be less likely to skew the experiment by
asking the same exact question twice in a row with different phrasing.
A more robust methodology would allow for valid comparison between
"million" and "mega"... I don't suppose you know any identical twins
with a penchant for answering simple maths questions? ;)

When I asked my father, he understood that a kilobyte was less than a
megabyte, which was less than a gigabyte.  But he had no idea how much
less - he would have believed me if I said a gigabyte was 10 or 10,000
megabytes.

I actually like your MP3 player example by the way - if I told my dad
that his MP3 player had a capacity of 4 billion bytes, and an average
MP3 was 4 million bytes, he'd be able to do exactly the calculation you
described.  With MB and GB, he'll need a pencil and paper no matter how
many times I explain it.

        - Andrew