> If nobody dares to change the world, the problem will never be solved.
> People will continue to be confused by files that don't add up as
> expected, and hard-disks that appear to shrink after unpacking. If
> operating systems had switched to base 10 representations 11 years
> ago, the problem would not exist anymore by now.

That is the point. If this international standard had been put into some
operating system standard like POSIX back then, the change would have
long been trumpeted by the town callers. How about trying now?

> Getting it into Gnome would be a major step in the right direction.

Getting it into GNOME would help I guess. Since it has stakeholders like
Sun/Oracle and Redhat.