On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM, David MENTRE <dmen...@linux-france.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During automatic import periods like currently for Karmic, is there
> any reason that a Debian package would not be imported into Ubuntu? If
> the Ubuntu package has no Ubuntu specific patches? If the Ubuntu
> package has Ubuntu specific patches (-ubuntu)?

Yes. When a package has been modified in Ubuntu, next time when Debian
updates the package a manual update is required in Ubuntu and the
package maintainer needs to decide if the Ubuntu changes are still
relevant.

> I am currently investigating why certain OCaml packages are failing to
> build on Karmic[1].
>
> For exemple, for source package "graphviz", the package seems to build
> correctly:
>  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/graphviz/+builds
>
> However, the package has been built against OCaml compiler 3.10.2 and
> not latest 3.11.0:
>  http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24508327/buildlog_ubuntu-jaunty-i386.graphviz_2.20.2-3ubuntu2_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz

The package was last built in jaunty. It is not built in karmic
because the source has not been updated.

> The current version in Karmic is 2.20.2-3ubuntu2 while it is 2.20.2-3 in
> Debian:
>  http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/graphviz.html

Current version in Ubuntu is greater than the one in Debian by the
virtue of ubuntu2.

> Any idea of what is going wrong? Should I manually request something?

If you wish that graphviz should be built against latest ocaml in
karmic, please file a bug on launchpad and someone from MOTU team will
handle it. Please note that this may happen eventually if we do a
merge/sync from Debian in near future. You may want to just wait till
DIF (Debian Import Freeze) date for karmic - June 25th.

Onkar