Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 June 2009 5:38:52 pm Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>
>> Could it be because it is the PREVAILING 'standard' that EVERYONE knows
>> and agrees about? (Please do consider including operating systems in
>> that EVERYONE)
>>

> Sure are an awful lot of nobodies in the IEEE and around here then.  Or is
> that not what you were trying to say?

How about Ubuntu risks looking like treating everybody else as nobodies?

Mac OS X, for example, knows all about the KiB versus KB business but
they chose 'to allow' people to use the wrong definition and thus keep a
KiB = KB impression.

Look up the '*Specifying* *Sizes' section on*
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man8/raidutil.8.html

This is all about working with everybody else. Please forgive me my
comments about a 'bunch of academics' but it appears that that is what
has happened since no one (except of course for some apps in GNOME and
probably only on Ubuntu) has switched over yet. Not everyone is ready to
upgrade/fix their current running systems.