Pau,

  Great!

  Relative to packaging, IMO, there is something quite
  different about ISC Cache from FNIS GT.M, and I think
  has significant installation ramifications.

  When I say "database instance", think Cache "environment".

  The GT.M software can be completely isolated from the
  actual database instance.  For example, I can use the
  identical software for all GT.M database instances on
  the machine. All of the data and configuration information
  is independent of the GT.M "system software", and the
  GT.M "system software" does not reference anything external
  to itself, nor to any GT.M instance (unlike what is done by
  Cache with /usr/local/etc/cachesys, which references each
  and every Cache instance accessible on the machine).

  Cache, on the other hand, really needs to have a complete
  install of Cache for each instance.  Cache stores all of its
  database files (in a natural install) for each environment,
  together in a subdirectory (mgr/) under the instance home.

  I have not been successful, nor does ISC recommend, trying
  to "share" installation components across environments.
  (Also, Cache is hostile to symlinks, etc).

  If you are going to "package" an instance of Cache, then
  the following comments are not applicable.  The following
  is from a "packaging the ISC Cache product" (like what
  you can download, e.g. 2008.1.0.401.0su_lnxrhx86.tar.gz)
  perspective.

  So, I would think that a good way to "package" Cache
  would be to have it stored somewhere (under /usr/share??),
  and have some helper scripts that create a database
  instance calling cinstall using that /usr/share subdirectory
  as the source (where cinstall is run from).  The created
  environment is then somewhere (/home subdirectory is
  where I stick them) and from which csession is run (and
  all of the instance is under that /home subdirectory for
  the instance).

  With GT.M, only the datafiles and configuration files are
  in an instance home (under a /home subdirectory), where
  all of the GT.M executable code (and some of the %
  routine, BUT NO data) is elsewhere (/opt/lsb-gtm/<ver>).

  I would be interested in working with you on your project
  as well, since I haven't yet repented of working on Cache
  on UNIX (I don't do Microsoft).

Cheers,
  --ldl

--