On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Scott James
Remnant<sc...@canonical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 23:32 -0400, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
>
>> Anyways, someone on the forums started a discussion about this and i
>> was wondering what you guys on the list though. There was a surprising
>> amount of support and quite a few people seem to have already switched
>> to Gnote. Reasons seem to be: improved integration, similar look,
>> faster and uses less memory, and it's smaller (and for those who care,
>> it doesn't require mono). Reasons against seem to be: lacking some
>> features. There didn't seem to be much detail on any of the points on
>> both sides though.
>>
> One of my principal concerns would that Gnote is simply a code port of
> Tomboy from Mono to C++, with little development of its own.  This means
> that should the maintainer tire of converting C# to C++, the project
> could quite quickly die.
>
> Scott

Add to that the fact that it isn't yet feature complete and it hasn't
been around for a very long time. It should probably wait for at least
Karmic+1. If it can remain smaller in any way when it reaches
maturity, then I don't see why it couldn't replace Tomboy.

I wouldn't hold the 'direct port' bit against it. It's an interesting
way to fork. And how many forks are we shipping in Ubuntu? I can name
at least Xorg, GCC, and our version of OOo.

Remco