On 20/10/09 15:24, Ryan Dwyer wrote:
> What are your thoughts on having a server product that competes with
> Windows Server? Something which has a GUI, is very easy to manage and
> works best with Ubuntu workstations.
In light of some of the other comments in this thread, I'd like to make
an observation, which may or may not hold true.

I personally prefer the CLI for many, if not most, tasks.

The reason that I do is because I have an understanding of what is going
on for the tools that I use.

The reason that a GUI is nice, is for those times when the understanding
is poor. For example, I'm still trying to get my head around how LDAP
and Samba work together to make a Domain Controller. I've read lots of
documentation on the subject, but the overall picture some how still
eludes me. A well built GUI can remove some of the complexity in the
implementation and management of such a complex environment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the Windows or KDE approach
that everything in the system has a check-box or a menu option. I'm
talking about how a GUI can simplify the complexities of such an
environment. (This is not intended as a swipe on KDE, just that I've
never liked the thundering horde of options it provides - I use a CLI
for that.)

If all the processes on a server were simple, we wouldn't need system
administrators. That's unlikely to ever happen.

I think what you are trying to discuss is a way of making server
administration less complex.

I think that you feel that a GUI will assist in that, and to some degree
it will.

I think it is admirable that you want Ubuntu to be used by more people,
but I'm beginning to wonder if you're asking the right question.

What I think you're asking is for a simpler way to manage a complex
system - and for me that comes with installing sensible defaults.
Perhaps your blueprint might attempt to describe functionality, rather
than a GUI. If you're not careful you will be building ebox or webmin
all over again.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Bigpond NextG at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..