Well I won't be quite so angsty about it but I will share my two cents.

When I saw the plain white logo at the bottom when I upgraded in place to
karmic beta, I was very surprised.

Actually, surprised is mild.  I honestly thought that the lame artwork was a
bug of some sort.  Considering NVIDIA's recent hissy fit with KMS, plus my
video card going kaput under karmic after a driver update.

But I would myself like to see that warm blend of yellow, red, and orange
that says "ubuntu".

The progress bar, however implemented, was notably absent...and for a brief
moment I thought that karmic had decided to crap out and lock up.

It is my opinion that a boot screen should be the pulse of the boot process,
providing the user with a reassuring "yes I'm ok and I'm booting just fine".