El 11/09/2009 01:03 PM, Mohammed Bassit escribió:
>> El 10/26/2009 12:28 PM, Mohammed Bassit escribió:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> You are free to use Debian !
>>>

>> After being migrated from Jaunty to Karmic in three machines (one at
>> work, one mine, and one of a friend), specially seeing that all that
>> works in Jaunty (wireless, ethernet, sound!!!!!) stop working in Karmic
>>

> Can you give us more details about what went wrong with your network and
> sound ? was it working in Jaunty out of the box ? did it just break once
> you upgraded to Karmic ?
>
> And those three machines you're talking about, do they have similar
> network and sound cards ? are all three of them from the same make and
> model ?

OK, sorry for my short previous message. I'll explain a little more here:

The three machines have different configurations. One desktop, and two
different notebooks.

I installed from scratch Kubuntu (in fact Ubuntu, and then installed the
kde/kubuntu packages) in the Desktop and one of the notebooks, and
upgraded from Jaunty in the other (my friend) notebook.

Results
    - In the desktop PC Karmic works pretty good in general, but there
are a lot of times that I can't close the programs.
    - In my notebook, I had problems with wireless (I couldn't configure
a hidden SSID) and the knetworkmanager doesn't allow to connect a
specific network (the click doesn't work). I also have problems with
audio. Each application that uses it makes an annoying click each time I
open or close, sometimes the audio isn't working at all, sometimes
working until suddenly it stops. The pulseaudio backend (in gstreamer or
xine, both) doesn't work, and I can't configure the skype to work. I had
hardy before, and all worked perfectly. Some programs doesn't close.
    - In my friend notebook she have the same troubles with audio and
wireless, and the kernel doesn't support it wired network card (I had to
compile an external module -but that happens also in Jaunty...-). The PC
doesn't shutdown at all, and any power key works after the upgrade (to
suspend/etc). Some programs doesn't close.

To me is annoying that kind of problems, but as I work with linux, I
need new libraries versions, and I know it (I know how to shutdown from
a console, for instance) I still use it... But my friend is just a new
linux user, and is going to live so far away.... So: first I thought: I
upgrade her to Karmic, so the hardware support could be better for her
without my help. WRONG! At the moment, she could not use the machine at
all with Karmic.
That was the reason that I upgraded her for Karmic. And that was the
reason to think about Debian after seeing what happened... Maybe is less
"user friendly", but if I configure the machine, I could expect that the
system will still be working for her, even after updates. With Ubuntu it
seems that I can't expect that... :-/

Best regards,
Natanael