I read some comments on this thread, and I feel I must chime in,
because I get furious at the anti-GUI people.

It's been said before, and I will say it again. Stupid people will do
stupid things, one way or another. I do know that often times, with
repeatable tasks and with things that can be done step-by-step, a GUI
can be useful in keeping the learning curve low. Can a low learning
curve make some people think they know what they're doing, when they
may not? Yes. Still, you are artificially setting the bar for time and
energy spent HIGHER for those of us who could and/or do know the
consequences of our actions.

Analogies can be made all day. Should we make people code every
website from scratch, in pure HTML/CSS/SQL? No, because even though I
have done that in the past and could do it again, MVC frameworks take
a lot of the cruft out of building sites. How about Joomla? Should we
say they shouldn't exist, because it makes it easy for end-users to
make simple club websites? No, that's absurd.

So should we purposely shun the development of time-saving GUIs for
some applications (e.g. Virtual Machine Manager) because some people
will find it easier to use than learning 50 different command switches
and having to visualize my work myself? NO.

Intuitive GUIs that simplify tasks and help users SEE and UNDERSTAND
system statistics and procedures are USEFUL and should NOT be thrown
away because it might allow unskilled users a false sense of
confidence, or that you might be worried your consulting job will be
on the line. Any business with concerns for their IT systems will
still have experts to manage things.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.c...@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>> If someone wants to make a tool that makes it easier for Windows
>> admins to run Linux servers, I'm sure that would be useful to some.
>> But to claim this as a cure-all for the perceived (but nonexistent)
>> additional complexity is bogus.
>>

> I salute you, sir, for being humble enough to make this case with your
> own experience.
>
> --

Luke L.