2010/1/12 Petr Jakeš <petr.ja...@tpc.cz>

> Hi,
> We have made a clean install minimal install of the
> ubuntu-9.10-server-i386.
>
> After the dirty power off (PC disconnected from the electricity when Ubuntu
> was working - no halt command issued before the electricity disconnecting)
> Grub2 stops in the menu and requires manual action (pressing the Enter key).
>
> We have found this a real pain for the server. Our point of view is server
> has to (always) start without any manual assistance.
>
> It was really not easy to find the solution
>
> We think even if Grub2 stops in the menu, it has to signalize somehow why.
> Or the server distro has to have different boot-up behavior than desktop.
>
> Regards
>
> Petr

Might I add that this was a real pain for the desktop install as well.

I have a number of machines which I run without a kb plugged in (i.e. main
pc w/ bluetooth keyboard, media centre) and having to manually update grub
on each of them to fix this was a bit much.

Especially since this doesn't *only* happen on dirty power-off, but on a
number of 'normal usage' things which can trigger a grub error (I didnt
manage to figure out the full scope of what triggered it in the end).

Alex