Excerpts from Brett Mahar's message of Thu Feb 04 20:00:19 -0500 2010:

> Is it still necessary to even have releases every 6 months? How many
> more new features/changes need to be made to the OS? It seems pretty
> well developed as-is.

You are kidding, right? It amazes me that someone would say such a
thing. I can tell you right now that the competition (Apple, and, yes,
even Microsoft) do not have this attitude. While Ubuntu in its current
form is a great distribution, it is by no means perfect and is certainly
nowhere near a point where we can start considering stagnation. With the
spread of constant internet connectivity, the potential for innovation
is endless. Moreover, user interfaces need to change to adapt to the new
form factors which are now hitting the market. Lastly, in many areas we
haven't yet even caught up with our competition. Have you tried using
OpenOffice recently?

Moreover, upstream packages continue to release new versions and this
will not change any time in the near future. Some of these changes are
small, whereas others are much larger. IMHO, it would be generally
irresponsible to release the latter category onto stable machines
without some sort of release structure indicating to users that "things
will change, maybe drastically. Act accordingly."

In short, our work is nowhere close to done.

Cheers,

- Ben