On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Markus Hitter <m...@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Am 05.02.2010 um 10:46 schrieb Siegfried-A. Gevatter:
>

> Apparently, the bug reporting and fixing (and packaging?) mechanism
> is so complex only few developers can keep up with it. Out of the ten
> bugs I have current, just a single one was fixed - in several months
> of emailing, while a fix was found within a week.

THIS.

There should be a prioritization for "FIX AVAILABLE" whereby SOMEHOW
these get tested.  Someone needs to drop them into an additional
"Testing" repository (this is more volatile than -proposed), and alert
upstream that there's such a patch.  I'm talking about "it compiled,
it ran on my workstation, I'm throwing it in -testing," not "Well it
compiles and runs, we've vetted it, tested it somewhat, we're putting
it in -proposed for wider developer testing."  Apparently there's no
such resources to do some pretty basic work.

I understand that the developers have some responsibility here even
for beta repositories, especially since that stuff's used to actually
evaluate if something should go to release; but we really need a
proving ground that amounts to all of "screw it, we don't know, some
homeless guy on the street said to try this so I uploaded it; it
builds and runs for me."