Just answering the bits that are/look like questions ...

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 14:33 -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> What emits the net-device-added event?

It's emitted by "ifup" and by Network Manager, both via
the /etc/network/if-up.d/upstart script.

> When is this run vis' a vis the /etc/rc2.d scripts?

Before, after, during, etc.  There is no fixed relationship between
these two things, except that /etc/rcS.d (and thus /etc/rc2.d) will not
be run until the "lo" device is up.

> OK, well what service emits a runlevel event?

None.

It's emitted by the /sbin/telinit tool.

> Next, suppose I don't want to run ufw -- what's the procedure for
> turning this service off?  Deleting the ufw.conf script from /etc/init?
>   This seems terribly irreversible.

Yes, or renaming to .conf-disabled is a common pattern.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
sc...@ubuntu.com