Personally, I've been thinking about suggesting an 'updates'/'main-updates'
repo, for at least commonly used applications. It would be implemented in a way
in which apt wouldn't auto upgrade the program (or at least ask first), but it
would be accessed by an addon maybe, to the Ubuntu Software Center. That way
the user can go there, click 'install newest version', and easily have the
newest version of say, Firefox along with his/her Windows friends, without
having to add potentially unstable PPAs or wrestling with how to get the
official app working (personally, I was a noob at one point. So when I
downloaded the *.tar.gz for Firefox on Linux, I assumed that meant I'd have to
compile the program. I spent a half hour trying to find 'make, make install'
instructions for it before realizing that it was precompiled xD I wouldn't wish
that on a user who just wants to have the newest Firefox so he can keep up with
his Windows friends (at least in that regard).)