On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Vernon Cole <vernondc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By another strange twist of fate, there is a PPA on launchpad which
> allegedly has a current version of mono, but it is only built for LTS
> versions of Ubuntu, so to get the latest version of mono, I have to
> unload Maverick and install an earlier version of Ubuntu. This is
> starting to sound like an episode of "The Twilight Zone."

BTW, here are some standard workarounds:
1) Attempt to install the version of Mono found in the PPA on your
maverick install. Packages built against older versions of libraries
will often work when linked against newer versions.
2) Install debootstrap and install the later Mono in a LTS chroot.
3) Virtual machines

> So, back to my original question: What can I do to help get the distro
> release up to the "latest stable version?" Should I be working on
> Natty?

It is possible the distro release is intentionally following the LTS
releases of Mono. In which case it may be better if you can find an
easy workaround, or persuade the PPA maintainer to support non-LTS
releases of Ubuntu.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted