On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Vernon Cole <vernondc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Parts of this discussion have been fed back to the IronPython
> development team, with the result that the IronPython build script has
> been repaired, and we can now build IronPython 2.7 against the .NET
> 2.0 library. It is reported to work fine on Ubuntu with the stock
> Mono.
>  I also got promoted to a (gulp!) developer on the IronPython
> project. That's what I get for asking too many questions.

Congratulations/commiserations :)

>  What is needed to get that version of IronPython into the Ubuntu
> release packages?
> Do you need to build from source or would a binary do? do we need to
> publish the .NET 2.0 binary version also/elsewhere?  What?

We build all packages from source in the archive.  It looks like we
also have to strip out some things from the tarball that are not
compliant with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (which is why the
current version contains “+dfsg”).  This is done in the
get-orig-source target of debian/rules in the dlr-languages source
package, although this *might* not apply to the new source.  From
inspection, it looks like we strip out the pre-built binaries and ruby
gems.

Mono's upstream 2.10 release page suggests that they're shipping both
IronPython and IronRuby in the main mono distribution, but looking at
the source I can't find it, so I'm not sure what's happening there.
Regardless, Mono 2.10.1 is now available in Debian experimental, and
so will be available early on in the Oneiric (what will become Ubuntu
11.10) development cycle.  Since we're very close to the end of the
Natty cycle upgrading to 2.10.1 presents too big a regression risk to
pull it in this time.

What needs to be done is to update the dlr-languages² source package.
This is maintained by the pkg-cli-libs team in Debian, and we sync it
across from there.  As we're well after Natty feature freeze, updating
in Natty would require a Feature Freeze exception¹.  As there seems to
be only one package with a(n optional) dependency on IronPython in the
archive it *might* be possible to get an FFe and have the new package
in the Natty release, it would be more reasonable to aim for Oneiric.

If you'd like help in the mechanical process of updating the package,
the Ubuntu packaging guide³ has a good rundown, or feel free to ask -
IRC #debian-cli on oftc.net is friendly and generally active.  Since
it looks like dlr-languages is one of the more complex things to
package, I could probably find the time to update it in the next month
or so if you're not comfortable with the process.

¹: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess
²: http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-cli-libs/packages/dlr-languages.git;a=summary
³: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide